Monday 21 August 2023

In the pipeline August 2023

I thought I might indulge myself and post here what I have planned between now and the end of the year (hopefully). By others standards this will seem minute but this old pensioner has a lot going on and I am lucky if I get an hour a day to model, let alone a day to play a game!

So here goes and yes, these are all plastic. The cost of getting metal figures in bulk to Australia is beyond me sadly.

1 Box of Perry's French infantry

To be painted as French for a change. I have 'orphan' Hinchliffe Chausseurs and Grenadiers that need line companies to make up the regiment.

1Box of Perry's French Hussars 

To be painted as Bavarian hussars. One good thing about 1812 on hussars from all nation is that their dress was basically similar.

1 Box Victrix French foot artillery

I will paint one of the gun and crew as Bavarian (using a head swap) and the other two guns as French. I cannot identify if the Irish legion, Nassau or the Swiss had artillery in their units.

1 Packet Victrix Bavarian infantry

I will paint some as a line battalion and some as light to go with my HaT Bavarians.

I will update the blog as I go along.


29 August

French infantry ready for undercoating. I have been comparing Vallejo filler with liquid green stuff. Green stuff shrinks a lot more but is easier to apply so I will use a mixture of both in future depending on the figure. I will also be using Army Painter light grey primer.

Yes, those are wine bottle caps, have to look after the local industry - or that is my excuse!

Close up


4 comments:

  1. There is quite a bit to keep you going there Chris. It will be great to see this completed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence I am finding working with plastics very challenging. Unlike metals, as the figure has to be assembled, it is tricky to get all the arms etc together so they look 'right'. I seem to have lots of filling and filing to do and I am not 100% happy with Vallejo plastic putty so I have some liquid 'green stuff' on order to give it a try.

      I have also walked away from the workbench 10 minutes ago as I was cutting an arm from the (French infantry) sprue and it flew away (who knew plastic contained so much pent up energy!) and seem so be lost somewhere in the workbench area. Such things try my patience and it is better to walk away than continue. Perhaps the Perry's (hi guys if you read this) have discovered a new source of kinetic power... cutting plastic sprues 😄

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan, be interested to see Victrix Bavarians versus Hat, haven't filled any of the hundreds of Perry French plastics be interested why you need to? I only get one hour a day at max Monday to Friday, I've gone all out trying to be efficient painting batches of six on a stick!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, looking at the unpainted Victrix, there had definitely been more effort into the figures than HaT but you get what you pay for. I am looking forward to comparing them painted, I will probably post photos as comparison when I finally get to painting them.

      As for filling Perry's plastics, I never seem to be able to get the arm to torso right. No matter how much I sand or file/trim, there always seems to be gaps which need small amounts of filling (where the shoulder straps are).

      Like you, my modelling time is limited, not only by time but also my eyesight and arthritis are limiting factors. I used to be able to handle painting 30 figures at a time, now I find 6-12 much more practical.

      Saw the BBC news from last night this morning (we get it on a free to air channel (SBS), looks like you have had an 'Indian' summer, I hope it continues for you.
      Cheers Chris

      Delete

Bavarian artillery

  27 February 2024 Braving heat, humidity and cyclones (hurricanes in the northern hemisphere) my brave Bavarian artillery unit is finished....