Saturday 23 December 2023

Some minor progress made

 23 December 2023

FINALLY we have had a break in the summer heat that has allowed me a couple of sessions to progress the Bavarian hussars. When I say 'break' I mean it has been below the mid 30'sC in my garage so with a little fortitude some painting time was possible.

This has been the hottest beginning to a summer on record in Brisbane and add the high humidity and regular thunderstorms it has been necessary to spend time in the air-con watching movies rather than painting (or fishing). The swiming pool got to 34C at one stage so it was more like a hot tub!

Anyway here are a couple of pics I have just taken. Other than the heat, the main annoyance and impediment to painting is how quickly the paint dries on the brush. Yes I use a wet pallette and regularly wet the painbrush but the tip still gets clogged with dry paint in about ten minutes. It also makes dry brushing hard because the paint dries so quickly there is none left to brush on the figure - cue much gnashing of teeth! Hence, the white on the figures (not the pelisse which was done weeks ago) takes me over twenty minutes per figure. I have nothing but admiration for those of you who can paint a battalion or a squadron in one sitting. 

Part of my workspace, the brushes have just been washed with soap.

A long way to go yet.


7 comments:

  1. Any progress is good. A nice start Chris. I'm still finding the early mornings a good time to paint, especially with the sun coming up at 4:00am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence, hope yopu are keeping OK through this storm, the joys of living in Queensland! I need a while to get to function in the mornings so I am more likely to get to paint nearer to 10:00am as the garden needs attention most mornings first and I am not a morning person until I have had 2 coffees!

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to get a little brush time in the "cool" weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Peter, it was a very brief window, we are back to high 30's C now which is somewhat 'trying'.

      Delete
    2. Sizzle!
      Not to mention that summer has barely begun for you! :-(

      Delete
  3. Looking good, I'm pretty tough on brushes which is why I use cheap ones, luckily it's closer to 17.5/18 in my house so paint drying too fast isn't much of an issue, at least your moving them on, you couldn't stick them on a tray and do them somewhere with air con?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, the hussars (as of today) are nearly finished. I have taken advantage of a slightly more tolerable hour here and there. I will post photos when they are mounted, The officer and bugler figures need to be painted and all of them based. I am not happy with them but they are the best I can do in this weather plus I don't think my eyesight is up to hussar lace! I also found how Perry's mount the carbines on the figures very precarious and I am not sure if they will stay affixed, we shall see.

      As for painting indoors, for marital harmony (my wife dislikes the smell of the paint and glue) I have agreed to only paint in the garage.

      Delete

Bavarian artillery

  27 February 2024 Braving heat, humidity and cyclones (hurricanes in the northern hemisphere) my brave Bavarian artillery unit is finished....